District #153 lunch program complies with federal nutritional requirements set by the National School Lunch Program. All meals are served with appropriate condiments and a choice of milk.
School cafeterias in Homewood School District #153 use a computerized management system. The system works as follows:
- Each child will have an account in the cafeteria management system for lunch purchases. As the child goes through the lunch line, he/she will need to enter a specific 4-digit PIN (personal identification number) into a key pad. Students will keep the same PIN number from year to year. Students new to the school district will receive a PIN number on the first day of school. If a student forgets his/her PIN, the cashier will be able to assist. All food purchases will require their PIN.
- The cost of a complete lunch is $2.60. Students can continue to choose to pay either daily or an amount can be deposited in their account in advance. Whichever option you choose your student must use their PIN. We encourage everyone to purchase multiple lunches in advance.
- To deposit money into your studentís account, put a check or cash in a sealed envelope with your childís name and grade. This envelope must be brought to your studentís school office before 9:00 am. Any money deposited will be immediately credited for your studentís use. Money cannot be deposited during lunch hours. Prior to the first day of the school year, lunch account payments will be accepted by the Business Office.
- If your child forgets his/her lunch or lunch money, food service will provide a sandwich and milk at a cost of $1.25. This amount should be paid the following school day.
- Families who apply for and qualify for free or reduced meals will be notified by mail within ten days of the date of application. Please send money for a hot lunch or send a sack lunch from home with your child until you have received notification of approval. Families must re-apply for free or reduced meals each year.
- Milk cost is 30Ę per half pint. Optional snack time beverages are available at an annual cost of $40.00 for milk or fruit juice for EC/Pre-K, kindergarten, first and second grade students.
- Eighth-graders cannot charge or accumulate any debt one week prior to the last attendance day of the school year. In addition, all debt must be paid in full one week prior to the last attendance day.
All pupils, except those in EC/Pre-K, may use the cafeteria. Students are urged to use the cafeteria service. Meals can not be specially prepared for children with diet restrictions. Students with such problems should bring their lunches from home.
Lunchroom behavior procedures will be provided to all students who use the facilities. Students and lunchroom supervisors will review the procedures the first week of school. Copies are available in the school office.
Contact Dana Pries, Food Service Director, at (708) 922-2417 if you have any questions regarding food services.